6/02/2006

Event Report: Adventist Health (Douglas Office)

This morning, I was interviewed at the Douglas Office of the Adventist Health corporate headquarters for their Friday morning worship. Once again, I was interviewed by our friend, Wayne Judd, director of mission and planning at Adventist Health.

As part of the program, Wayne and I read some passages from Rainbow Over Hell--I read the original Japanese, and he read the English translation. We also showed the five-minute promo DVD for the book, which gives a synopsis of Arakaki's incredible story, and played a recording of Charlotte Church singing "Pie Jesu," which I had listened to continuously while translating the Suicide Cliff scene.

Once again, I was moved by the enthusiastic and sometimes emotional response to the book. One man was overcome with emotion as he shared that his father had fought in the Battle of Okinawa and still struggles with his memories of taking lives in battle.

This reminded me that the non-physical wounds of war run deep in the psyche and that healing for World War II veterans is still very much an on-going process. My wish continues to be that Rainbow Over Hell will be a bridge of healing for those World War II veterans.

_________

Technorati tags:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home