5/22/2006

WWII Veterans and Rainbow Over Hell

Through promotional activities for Rainbow Over Hell, I've been honored to meet and hear from many Pacific War veterans and their family members. It's a humbling experience to come into contact with men who, years ago, fought on Saipan as young men.

Many of them have quietly kept their wartime memories to themselves. When I meet the children or brothers of these veterans, the words I hear most often are, "My father/brother fought in the Pacific War, but he never spoke of it."

Today, I heard about another Pacific War veteran who fought on Tinian and Saipan against the Japanese and who has recently read Rainbow Over Hell. He was so moved by the story that he is encouraging others to read it as well.

For me, these responses from World War II veterans--and especially those who fought in the South Pacific--are the most rewarding reviews of all. To have someone who once considered Saburo Arakaki an enemy read this book and embrace the story with such openheartedness is truly humbling and fulfilling.

_________

Technorati tags:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home